What is BAP?
BAP is a pragmatic, evidence-informed, and versatile MI-consistent tool designed to support patient self-management and facilitate health behavior change.
BAP: Core Competencies
Demonstration videos, quizzes, and field exercises in six online modules. Continuing Medical Education (CME) credits available through Stony Brook University
BAP-MI: Advanced Skills
A Stepped-Care Approach to Health Behavior Change
American Psychiatric Association, Learning Center
The Medical Interview, 3rd Edition
The Medical Interview by Drs. Steven A. Cole and Julian Bird equips you to communicate effectively with your patients so you can provide optimal care! This best-selling widely adopted resource presents a practical systematic approach to honing your basic interviewing skills and managing common challenging communicating situations. Its Three-Function Approach – “Build the Relationship ” “Assess and Understand ” and Collaborative Management” offers straightforward tasks behaviors and skills that can be easily mastered making this an ideal learning tool for beginners and a valuable reference for experienced healthcare professionals.
- Easily apply proven techniques with help from supportive case examples and actual interview questions.
- Get the skills you need now with new chapters covering advanced topics and applications including “Presentation and Documentation,” nonverbal communication, using psychological principles in medical practice, and integrating structure and function.
- Quickly review information with summary tables, boxes and bulleted lists.
- Get access on the go with the fully searchable text online at Student Consult, including cost-free access to a specially customized, interactive web-based Module on Brief Action Planning (BAP), a key component of the web-based, interactive Comprehensive Motivational Interventions (CMI)™ e-learning platform.
Preview: 4th Edition
Cole S, Frankel R, Bird J, Skeff K:
The Medical Interview: The Three Function Approach to Relationship Centered Care (Fourth Edition), Elsevier, 2023 in press
ZOOM Presentation on 4th Edition (Function Three)
Sample BAP Videos
Watch five minute video demonstrations of core and advanced skills
Enhanced BAP Training
Available through integrated ZOOM teleconference/webinars
• designed for ACGME Residency & Fellowship Training Programs
• online, self-directed course supplemented by four (live) ZOOM Webinars
• meets ACGME “Interpersonal Skills” Core Competencies
Take the CME version of BAP: Core Competencies and receive 8 Hours CME credits from the Stony Brook Office of Continuing Medical Education